Souffle in English means ‘to puff’ & when you see these come out of the oven, you’ll understand why.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
- 4 large potatoes
- 30 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 85 g mature cheddar
- 30 g hard Italian style cheese
- Small bunch of chives
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / 450°F and put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Then generously butter 4 ramekin dishes.
- You can microwave your potato for 7 – 8 minutes. Alternatively, boil it whole and unpeeled for 35 minutes or until tender. Peel when cool.
- Grate the Cheddar and the Italian hard style cheeses. Snip the chives into small pieces (you should have about 2 tsp). Then separate the eggs.
- Put the potato flesh in a bowl and mash well. Then stir in the cheeses, chives, and egg yolks.
- Warm the milk and butter in a pan, then pour this over the potato mixture and stir everything together. Season with pepper (the Italian hard style cheese is already quite salty).
- Whisk the egg whites to floppy peaks. Next gently fold the egg whites into the potato mixture.
- Fill the prepared ramekins with the mixture. Put the ramekins on the hot baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15 – 17 minutes until puffed and golden.