This is the perfect recipe to ease your little helpers into baking & the perfect sweetener for Santa on Christmas Eve.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
- 100 g softened butter
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 50 g golden syrup
- 1 large egg
- 250 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 g fondant icing
- 3 tbsp water
- a selection of Writing Icing pens in various colours
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (160 C Fan)/350 F/Gas Mark 4. Line two baking sheets with non stick baking paper
- Measure the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy using an electric hand whisk. Add the syrup and egg and whisk again. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the mixture comes together.
- Lightly knead into a dough and wrap in cling film. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour until firm.
- Flour a work surface. Roll out the dough . Stamp out men using a gingerbread cutter.
- Place on the baking sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden and just firm in the middle. Leave to cool.
- To make white icing, whisk the icing sugar and water together in a bowl using a hand held electric whisk until smooth. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a small hole and pipe designs on the gingerbread men. Alternatively you could use Writing Icing pens to decorate the cookies.