Creamy Tomato & Basil Pasta
Everyone loves a classic tomato & basil pasta dish, so follow this quick & easy recipe for a winning dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled & grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sundried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 2 tbsp double cream
- dash of sugar
- 150 g shell pasta
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water according to the packet instructions.
- When the onion and carrot are cooked add the tomatoes, tomato puree, sundried tomato paste and seasoning. Bring up to the boil, then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the basil, cream and dash of sugar (this takes away the acidity in the tomato sauce). Whiz until smooth using a hand blender. Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce.