Chilli Con Carne
Chilli con carne is a great dish for batch-cooking. It tastes incredible with a spoonful of avocado on the top too.
- 75 g basmati rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
- 100 g carrots, grated
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- 250 g lean minced beef
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ medium red chilli, chopped
- ½ tsp paprika
- pinch of chilli powder or more to taste
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ beef stock cube dissolved in 50ml boiling water
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 295 g tinned kidney beans, drained & dried
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan and sauté the onion and carrot for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the onion and carrot mixture into a bowl and set aside. Add the minced beef to the pan and stir fry over a high heat until browned. Add the cumin, chilli, paprika and chilli powder.
- Once this has cooked for 1 minute, add all the other ingredients and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Return the onion and carrot mixture to the pan and stir. Simmer over a low heat for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is thick.
- Meanwhile cook the rice. Serve the Chilli Con Carne on a bed of fluffy white rice or with some mashed potato.