Chicken Tikka Masala
What’s on tonight’s menu? This Chicken Tikka Masala curry recipe is a healthier option than a Saturday night takeaway and is bursting with aromatic flavours that everyone will love.
For the Marinade:
- 6 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 2 chicken breasts (approx 300g) cut into 2 cm (1 inch cubes)
For the Sauce
- 15 g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground corriander
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- For the marinade, mix together the yoghurt, ginger, garlic and curry powder. Add the chicken and mix to coat. Cover and put in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter and sauté the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garam masala, coriander and ginger and sauté for 5 more minutes until the onion is soft and the spices are fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree, tomatoes, stock, honey and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and simmer for 10 more minutes until thick.
- Line a baking tray with foil and arrange the marinated chicken cubes on it. Grill under a preheated grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked through.
- Add cooked chicken and lemon juice to the sauce. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Serve with boiled rice, naan or poppadums.