Exclusive recipe from Annabel’s Baby-Led Weaning Recipe Book.
Who doesn’t love banana bread? Packed full of grated carrots, sultanas and seeds, this is a delicious breakfast or snack and a great way to use up overripe bananas.
- 150g / 5oz softened unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 200g/ 7oz ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 125g / 4½oz grated carrot
- 25g / 1oz sultanas
- 125g / 4½oz soft dark brown sugar
- 225g / 8oz self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 25g / 1oz pumpkin seeds
- 25g / 1oz sunflower seeds
- Butter, for spreading and greasing
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/340°F/Gas 3, grease a 900 g/2 lb loaf tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Place all of the ingredients, except the topping, in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together with an electric hand-held whisk for 1–2 minutes until light and fluffy. Alternatively, use a stand mixer fitted with the paddle or whisk attachment.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level out the top.
- Sprinkle with the extra seeds and bake for 1–1¼ hours until golden, well risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack, then remove from the tin. Dust with icing sugar (if using), cut into slices, spread with butter and serve.