Shh… don’t tell anyone but there are five veggies hiding inside this super tasty tomato sauce. Use with pasta, on top of a pizza or pour over chicken.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 leek, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 red pepper
- 1/2 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 medium courgette, chopped
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp torn basil leaves (optional)
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion and leek for approximately 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the red pepper, carrot and courgette, and cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, paste, tomato ketchup and caster sugar, and stir for approximately 1 minute.
- Simmer uncovered for 25–30 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Stir in the basil leaves if using.
- Transfer to a blender and blitz the sauce to a purée.