Turkey with Butternut Squash, Pecan Stuffing and Cranberry Wine Gravy
For the main event, serve this delicious turkey sensation complete with nutty stuffing & cranberry wine gravy.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
For the Turkey:
- 2 kg roasting chicken or turkey
- 1/2 onion
- fresh bay leaves
- fresh sage
- fresh thyme
For the Stuffing:
- 150 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled & roughly chopped
- 1 apple, peeled & grated
- 100 g butternut squash, peeled & grated
- 270 g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 40 g pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh sage
- 1 tbsp chives
For the Gravy:
- 2 1/2 tbsp flour
- 140 ml white wine
- 500 ml good strong chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cranberry jelly
- a few drops Worcestershire Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (180 C Fan)/400 F/Gas Mark 6.
- Stuff the chicken cavity with half and onion, some fresh bay leaves and some sprigs of sage, thyme.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours basting occasionally.
- To make the stuffing, heat 1 ½ tbsp of the oil and saute the onions for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the apple and butternutsquash and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients and season, then stir in the remaining oil and shape into 16 balls.
- Arrange the balls in a greased baking sheet for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and lightly crispy in the outside.
- To make the gravy, strain some of the fat from the roasting tin. Put the fat into a saucepan.
- Add the flour and whisk in the wine, chicken stock, cranberry jelly and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk until thickened.
- Deglaze the roasting tin with 100 ml water and add to the gravy.