Make Bonfire Night or Halloween an evening to remember with these crunchy & crisp toffee apples.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 450 g demerara sugar
- 50 g butter
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 150 ml water
- 8-10 small apples, washed & dried
- Put all the ingredients for the toffee coating in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat gently, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly without stirring until the temperature reaches 143 C / 290 F on a sugar thermometer. If you don’t have a thermometer, drop a little of the hot syrup into cold water – the coating is ready when it separates into hard threads.
- Before covering the apples, push thick wooden chopsticks or wooden lolly sticks into them. Dip them carefully into the hot toffee mixture, swirling them around and allowing the excess to drip off so that the coating is not too thick. Leave to set on wax paper or greased aluminium foil.
- Stuffed baked potatoes are usually popular with older children but a bit unwieldy for little ones. Small new potatoes make a perfect alternative for a finger-sized version!