Thai Spiced Beef Curry with Sweet Potato
Mild enough for all ages, this creamy curry is perfect for a comforting family supper around the dinner table.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 900 g diced braising beef
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 cm piece ginger, peeled & grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 tbsp red Thai curry paste (or less if you like it cooler)
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded & diced
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 x 400 g coconut milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 300 g peeled sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes
- 12 g baby spinach
- Pre-heat the oven to 140F.
- Heat a casserole pan on the hob. Add 2 tbsp of oil.
- Brown the beef in two batches until browned, set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan with the onions, ginger, garlic and chili.
- Fry for 2 – 3 minutes, then add the tomato puree and Thai paste. Fry for 30 seconds.
- Return the beef to the pan with the coconut milk, honey and seasoning.
- Bring up to the boil, cover and transfer to the oven for 1 – ¼ hours or until nearly tender.
- Put the pan back on to the hob.
- Add the potatoes, bring up to the boil, cover and put back into the oven for another 20-25 minutes until the beef is tender and the potato is cooked through.
- Add the spinach, stir to wilt.
- Serve with rice.