Tagine Recipe with Pork & Beef Meatballs
Introduce kids to the flavours of Morocco, with this aromatic meatball tagine with a helping of couscous or rice.
For the Meatballs
- 125 g pork mince
- 125 g beef mince
- 30 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 15 g parmesan grated
- 1/2 tsp chopped coriander
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) butternut squash, coarsely grated
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 x 400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) chicken stock
- 1 tsp sundried tomato puree
- 1 tsp honey
- First make the tagine sauce. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion and butternut squash. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the ginger.
- Add the spices and fry for one minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Season and simmer for 10 minutes until the onion and squash are soft.
- Blend using a hand blender until smooth. Pour back into the saucepan.
- To make the meatballs, put all of the ingredients into a bowl. Season and mix together. Shape into 20 balls.
- Bring the sauce up to the boil, then drop the meatballs into the sauce in a single layer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta or rice according the packet instructions and drain.
- Serve the meatballs with the pasta or rice.