Stars & Stripes Mixed Berry Tart
This 4th of July Berry Tart Recipe is simple, beautiful, and delicious. Patriotic colors and summery flavors combine to make this the perfect 4th of July dessert.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 300g plain flour
- 150g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 40g icing sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- 300g strawberries
- 300g raspberries
- 300g blueberries
- 60g cornflour
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Cassis
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the pastry. Put the flour , sugar and butter into a food processor . Whiz until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Mix the egg and water together . Add to the processor and whiz until the pastry comes together for 5 minutes.
- Roll our 2/3 of the pastry and line a 10” round loose bottom flan case and prick the sides and base. Chill for 30 minutes .
- Line the tin with baking paper and add baking beans. Bake the tart for 15 minutes . Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes until the pastry is cooked. Set aside.
- To make the filling . Put the caster sugar with 2 tbsp water in a saucepan . Stir over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reserve 50g of each fruit . Put the remaining fruits into the pan. Heat for 4 to 5 minutes until some of the juices have come out of the fruits.
- Mix the cornflour in a bowl with the cassis and 4 tbsp of water . Stir until smooth and runny. Carefully pour in the liquid from the pan (keeping the fruits in the pan) and stir well.
- Pour the cornflour liquid back into the pan . Bring up to simmering point, stirring all the time until the mixture has thickened. Pour into the pastry case. Arrange the reserved blueberries on one side and the red fruits on the other side.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3rd of the pastry. Cut out stars and stripes . Decorate the surface to make an American flag. Brush with beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Leave to cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.