Stars and Stripes Mini Cupcakes
Independence Day in the USA marks the birth of the nation and these Stars & Stripes Mini Cupcakes are perfect for a 4th of July Bake-off celebration. You can make these Stars and Stripes Mini Cupcakes with a vanilla cupcake mixture or leave out the vanilla and stir in the cocoa powder and chocolate chips once the batter is made.
- 100g (4 oz) soft margarine
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 100g (4 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
Chocolate Orange Variation
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g (2 oz) plain chocolate chips
- Grated rind of half an orange (optional)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 1/2 to 4 tbsp warm water
- Red and blue food colouring
- Mini white sugar stars or pip white icing stars
- Put all the ingredients for the cakes into a bowl or food processor and beat together until smooth.
- Line a mini muffin tin with paper cases and fill each case about two thirds full with the mixture.
- Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180C/350F for 10 to 12 minutes until well risen and the cakes spring back when you press them with your fingertips.
- Mix the icing sugar with the warm water until a good spreadable consistency but not runny. You may need to add a little extra water.
- Remove one and and a half tablespoons of the icing and colour it blue. Remove two thirds of the remaining mixture and colour it red.
- Ice 6 of the cupcakes blue, 15 of the cupcakes red and 9 of the cupcakes white.
- Stick white sugar stars on the blue iced cupcakes and arrange the mini cupcakes in the design of the American Flag.
- VARIATION: Sift together the flour and cocoa powder, then continue with step one as above. Stir in the chocolate chips and orange zest (if using).