Spinach & Ricotta Ravioli is a supermarket ready meal favourite but why not make your own? It’s easier than you think!
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) double zero '00' flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g (9 oz) baby spinach
- 100 g (4 oz) ricotta spinach
- 50 g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 5 large ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- First make the pasta. Measure the flour, eggs, salt and oil into a bowl. Mix together with a wooden spoon, the jnead it in the bowl, using your hands, to form a dough. Tip out onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes until shiny and smooth. Wrap in cling film and rest for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Divide the dough into into 4 balls. Roll out one ball to a small rectangle, then feed it through a pasta machine, starting on the widest setting. Go through each setting 2-3 times, working up from 1 to 5. Sprinkle flour over the sheets occasionally so they don’t stick.
- Cut the long sheet of pasta in half so you have 2 sheets that measure about 30 x 10 cm (12 x 4 in) . Repeat with the remaining balls until you have 8 sheets. leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Toss in flour, then place on a baking sheet dusted with flour. Cover with cling film. Alternatively, hang the pasta from the pasta stand.
- To make the filling, wilt the spinach in a frying pan. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool, then add the remaining ingredients. Put one sheet of pasta on the work surface and spoon 6 teaspoons of the filling along the sheet. Brush a little water around the filling, put another sheet on top and press down around it to seal the edges.
- Put around the fillings to make 6 squares, scoring the edges with a fork. Dust with flour and leave to dry for 30 minutes, turning halfway through. Repeat to make 24 squares.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and tomatoes and warm through. Cook the ravioli in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes. Drain, then serve with sauce spooned over.