Rhubarb & Apple Crumble
The slightly tart taste of rhubarb combines well with the sweet crumble topping.
- 3 eating apples e.g. Granny Smith, peeled & cut into thick slices
- 260 g rhubarb, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 70 g caster sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 50 g cold butter
- 55 g Demerara sugar
- 15 g rolled oats
- 35 g ground almonds
- Pinch ground ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Peel & slice the apples & put in a large heavy saucepan with the sugar.
- Heat gently until the sugar melts, then increase the heat & boil for 4-5 minutes until the sugar caramelises slightly (it will turn golden).
- Add the rhubarb, reduce the heat & cook gently for 4-5 minutes until the rhubarb softens slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the topping ingredients in a food processor & whiz to fine crumbs.
- Put the fruit in a 1.5 litre dish & sprinkle over the topping. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden.