My colourful panzanella is the perfect recipe to use up bread that’s past its best. It soaks up the delicious flavours of fresh tomatoes, basil and olive oil, and kids will love it.
- 2 slices of bread, sliced into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 beefsteak tomato, chopped
- 150g yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 30g parmesan, grated
- A handful of basil leaves
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- pinch sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C Fan / 375 F / Gas 5. Put the bread and oil into a roasting tin, season. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden and crisp. Leave to cool, then place in a bowl.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients and season. Mix the dressing together and pour over the salad. Toss together, then leave for 15 minutes. Top with basil leaves and the grated Parmesan before serving.