These princess cookies are a great snack as part of your royal line-up of engagements.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 185 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 50 g butter at room temperature
- 85 g dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- Icing sugar
- Pink food colouring
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Fan 160C.
- Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the bowl. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingers until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir the sugar into the mixture , then add the egg yolk and golden syrup and mix everything together using a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle a clean work surface with flour and knead the dough until it is smooth .. Cut the dough in half. Sprinkle the work surface with a little more flour and roll out the dough starting at the centre of the dough and rolling evenly outwards. Repeat with the second ball of dough. Cut into shapes using cookie cutters Re-roll the trimmings until all the dough is used up.
- Place on non stick baking sheets and bake for 11 to 12 minutes. You can add currants for eyes before the cookies are baked if you like.
- Allow to cool then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, you can decorate.