Potato, Carrot and Sweetcorn Balls
Root vegetables, such as potatoes and carrots, are firm favourites with babies, and the fruitiness of sweetcorn makes these yummy balls irresistible.
Exclusive recipe from Annabel’s NEW Weaning cookbook. BUY NOW
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 70g (21⁄2oz) fresh breadcrumbs or wheat- or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 30g (1oz) Cheddar cheese or dairy-free alternative, grated
- ½ tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 3 tbsp tinned sweetcorn, frozen or canned without sugar or salt
- Plain flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Place the carrot and potato in a steamer and steam for 15 minutes until soft. Leave to cool.
- Place the remaining ingredients except the flour and oil into a food processor. Whizz together until finely chopped. Shape into 18 balls and roll in the flour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the balls for 5–6 minutes over a medium heat, until golden on all sides and heated through.
- When needed, thaw overnight in the fridge or for a few hours at room temperature. Reheat in an oven preheated to 180ºC (fan 160ºC), gas 4 for about 10 minutes.
- Alternatively preheat an oven to 180C / 160C Fan and cook the chicken balls for about 15 minutes turning halfway through until cooked through