Plum & Bluberry Crumble
Crumble is such a great dessert option: it’s so easy to prepare and never disappoints. Swap the plums and blueberries for your family’s favourite fruit or choose what’s in season for a versatile year-round pud.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 30g/1¼oz butter
- 1kg/2¼lb ripe red plums, halved and stoned
- 50g/2oz light muscovado sugar
- 150g/5oz blueberries
- 150g/5oz plain flour
- 175g/6oz light muscovado sugar
- 150g/5oz ground almonds
- 150g/5oz unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Sprinkle the almonds over the base of a shallow baking dish, about 2 litre/3½ pint capacity.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the plums and sprinkle with the muscovado sugar. Cook for 5 minutes (or less if the plums are very ripe) until soft. Spoon the plums and cooking liquid into the dish and scatter over the blueberries.
- To make the crumble topping, put the flour, muscovado sugar, ground almonds, butter and salt in a food processor and blitz until the fine crumbs are just starting to cling together (avoid over-processing the mixture). Alternatively, rub the butter into the flour, ground almonds, sugar and salt in a bowl with your fingertips.
- Scatter the crumble topping over the fruit and sprinkle the crumble with the demerara sugar. Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the crumble is lightly golden and bubbling at the edges.
- The cooked crumble can be frozen (once cooled) for up to 2 months. Defrost, then reheat in the oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.