Pirate Ship Cake
Impress your birthday buccaneers with this edible pirate ship at their next swashbuckling shindig!
- 2x20cm chocolate or vanilla cake layers, from 500g cake mix
- 1x400 g tub bought chocolate buttercream (Or make you own with 200g butter, 100g icing sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and ½ tsp vanilla)
- Chocolate fingers
- Large white chocolate buttons for portholes
- 6 mini chocolate swiss rolls
- Maltesers for Canonballs
- Wrapping paper and skewers for the sail
Decoration for the cake board
- Blue bubble gum sweets
- Blue and green M&M’s
- Sandwich the cake together with a thin layer of buttercream. Cut the cake in half. Stack one half on top of the other with buttercream. Trim a thin section away from the curved base of the cake and turn the cake so that it will sit on the slightly flattened edge on a board. Cover the cake with chocolate buttercream.
- Decorate the base of the ship with large white chocolate buttons and Smarties as port holes.
- Decorate the deck with Kit Kats, Mini Swiss rolls with white chocolate buttons and cannons made from Maltesers and chocolate fingers.
- Make sails from rectangles of wrapping paper attached with skewers and you can attach little flags to the top of the skewers.