Make a colourful rainbow of sweet meringues & sandwich them together with whipped cream or softened vanilla ice cream.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 3 Medium egg whites
- 0.5 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 exclude Salt
- 150 g Caster/superfine sugar
- 0.5 tsps Cornflour
- 1 exclude Food colour – eg pink, purple, green
- Preheat the oven to 130c/250F/G Mk 1/110 Fan. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Make sure that your bowl and beaters are grease free, wash well and dry with a clean cloth. You can also wipe them with kitchen paper dipped in a little lemon juice.
- Put the egg whites and pinch of salt in the bowl and whisk to stiff peaks that don’t bend over when you remove the whisk. Be careful not to overbeat, the egg whites will start to look lumpy, a bit like cotton wool, if you do this.
- Whisk one tablespoon of sugar into the egg whites, be sure to whisk the whites back to stiff peaks. Whisk 5 more tablespoons of sugar into the mixture. Make sure that the egg whites are stiff before adding each tablespoon of sugar. Whisk in the cornflour and lemon juice until just combined. Sprinkle over the remaining sugar and whisk into the egg whites, again whisk back to stiff peak. The meringue should look smooth and glossy.
- Divide the meringue into 3 bowls and colour each one with a couple of drops of food colour. Use a cocktail stick/toothpick to add the food colour carefully, and fold the colour in using a metal dessert spoon
- Spoon or pipe the meringue onto 2 baking sheets, making each one about 2 1/2 cm/1 inch in diameter.
- Bake the meringues for 30-35 minutes, until firm on the outside and the meringues release themselves from the parchment paper. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues for a further 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave on a rack to cool.
- Sandwich with whipped cream or softened vanilla ice cream