This recipe comes from Australia where it’s called pavlova, after a Russian ballet dancer. Make 4 small meringues or one big one.
170 g Caster sugar
150 ml Double cream
150 g Mixed berries
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment. Draw 4 guide circles, each about 7 cm (3 in) across. Turn the parchment over- you should still be able to see the circles.
- To separate the eggs, tip each yolk from one half shell to the other, letting the white fall into the bowl.You only need the whites for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 120ºC Fan /140ºC/ 275ºF/ Gas 1. Add a pinch of salt to the egg whites and whisk to stiff peaks. Whisk in 2 tbsp sugar and whisk back to stiff peaks, then whisk in another 2 tbsp sugar and whisk to stiff peaks again.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag with a large nozzle. Pipe baskets of meringue on the baking parchment using you circles as guides.
- Bake the baskets for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the meringue is crisp on the outside and pale gold in colour. Turn off the oven. Leave the meringues in the oven until they are completely cold, preferably overnight.
Similar products you might enjoy!