What could be more perfect than mini heart-shaped red velvet cakes to celebrate this valentines with your loved ones. Pretty as they are delicious! This recipe makes 4 cakes, and each cake is 3-4 portions.
Little Red Velvet Cakes
Little Red Velvet Cakes
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp (one eighth tsp) bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
150ml (5 1/2 fl oz) milk
2 tsp red food colour
85g (3oz) butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
150g (5 1/2 oz) caster sugar
1 egg plus 2 yolks
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
170g (6oz) butter, room temperature
150g (5 1/2 oz) icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Red and pink candy coated chocolate or sprinkles, to decorate.
- 10 cm (4 in) wide and 4 cm (2 in) deep. If you don’t have individual heart haped tines you could make this in one large heartshaped tin that is 20cm (8 in) across. You can also buy cupcake trays with the cupcakes shaped like little hearts. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4
- Sift together the flour , cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Heat the milk in a saucepan or microwave until lukewarm, add the food colour and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat together the egg, yolks and vanilla and beat into the butter, a little at a time. Mix in 1/3 f the flour, then half of the milk, 1/3 of the flour, the rest of the milk and finally the remaining flour.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and spread out evenly. Tap the base of the cake tin on a work surface 2-3 times t level the batter then bake for 25-30 minutes, until the cake is risen, firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake.
- Leave the cake or cakes to cool in the tin or tins for 30 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack, peel away the paper and leave the cake to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the icing by beating together the cream cheese and butter until smooth (this is much easier to do if the cream cheese and butter are the same temperature). Beat in the icing sugar and vanilla. If the icing is very soft then refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
- Split the cake(s) in half horizontally. Spread 1/4 of the icing over the 4 bases and sandwich the hearts back together. Ice the tops and sides of the cakes with the remaining icing. Decorate the tops with red sweets and edible flowers.. Store the cakes in a cool place, preferably in airtight containers.
- If making the cakes as gifts it may be helpful to place each one on a large piece of baking parchment or foil before icing. The paper can then be used to lift the cakes into (and out of) boxes.
Similar products you might enjoy!