1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ red chilli deseeded and diced
500g fresh clams
100ml white wine
4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
50 g Parmesan cheese, grated
1. When you buy clams its best to unwrap and pop them in a bowl so that they can breathe. Discard any clams that are already open, chipped or broken in any way.
2. Just before cooking, soak the clams for 20 minutes in fresh water.
3. After 20 minutes, remove the clams with a slotted spoon. Using a firm brush scrub off any additional sand or barnacles.
4. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and thyme and fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Add the clams and coat in the oil. Add the wine and tomatoes.
6. Cover with a lid and boil for 3 to 4 minutes until all of the clams have opened.
7. Cook the pasta in boiling water. Drain and add to the sauce with the lemon and parsley. Toss together, remove from the heat, then add the Parmesan cheese.