Marinating the veggies in a balsamic vinaigrette will give them an irresistible sweet & juicy taste.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
For the Skewers
- 1/4 large red pepper
- 1/4 large orange pepper
- 1/2 medium green courgette
- 1/2 medium yellow courgette (or green if unavailable)
For the Marinade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper, to season
- You will also need 4 wooden skewers, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the core and seeds. Cut into slices to make rings.
- Slice four circles from each courgette (approximately 1 cm/1/4 in thick) and cut each circle across in half to give eight semicircles each of green and yellow courgette.
- Put the marinade ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk together. Season to taste with salt and pepper then add the vegetables and toss to coat. Marinate for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight, stirring the vegetables occasionally.
- Pre-heat the grill to High and line a grill pan with foil.
- Thread pieces of pepper and courgette on to the skewers.
- Put the skewers on the foil and brush over some of the remaining marinade.
- Grill for 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften around the edges – watch carefully as they can brown very quickly if they are too close to the heat source.
- Turn the skewers over and brush with more marinade.
- Grill for a further 4–5 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked through. Again watch carefully and lower the grill rack if the vegetables are browning too quickly. The skewers can also be barbecued over medium hot coals.
- Allow the skewers to cool slightly before serving.
- Leftover vegetables can be removed from the skewers and stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 2 days.