Gingerbread Men Cookies
This is my ‘best ever’ recipe for gingerbread men. Children will love rolling out the dough and cutting the shapes. They can help with the icing decoration too. For decorating, you will need a piping bag fitted with a small, round nozzle.
- 90g butter, softened
- 65g soft dark brown sugar
- 30g beaten egg (about 1 egg)
- 65g black treacle
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 250g royal icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with a hand-held electric whisk until light and fluffy, then add the egg and black treacle and whisk to combine.
- Measure the remaining dry ingredients into a separate bowl. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, whisking until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and transfer to the fridge for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven the oven to 200⁰C/400⁰F/Gas 6 and line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Roll out the chilled dough on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of approx 5mm/ 1/4 in.
- Cut out the men using a gingerbread cutter. Place them on the lined baking sheets, then chill in the fridge until firm (about 45 minutes).
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until crisp and lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave the gingerbread to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, whisk the icing sugar and water together in a bowl using a hand-held electric whisk until smooth. Spoon the icing into the piping bag and pipe designs on the gingerbread men.