Ginger Bread Wreath
This wreath will have all the neighbors jealous. Why waste money on decorations when you can make your own and eat them too!
- 180g soft butter
- 130g dark brown sugar
- 60g beaten egg
- 130g black treacle
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150g Royal icing sugar
- Approx. 1 ½ tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180 C Fan. Line two large baking sheets with non stick paper.
- Measure the butter and sugar into a large bowl. Whisk together using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and treacle . Whisk until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until the mixture has come together .
- Knead into a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 45 minutes until firm.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half to a 10” / 25cm circle about 1 – 1 ½ cm thick . Cut out an inner circle measuring 11 cm diameter. Stamp out a small circle near the edge to make a hole to tie a ribbon.
- Place on one of the baking sheets. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until firm and lightly golden. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the remaining dough including the stamped out circles . using Christmas cutters stamp out Christmas Trees, Starts, Angels etc… Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes , then leave to cool.
- To make the icing. Mix the icing sugar and enough water together to make a smooth paste. Spoon into a small icing bag fitted with a small nozzle.
- Pipe decorations onto the gingerbread shapes . Stick shapes onto the ring using the icing. Tie a ribbon into a bow in the smaller hole so that you can tie the wreath up.