Egg & Dairy Free Chocolate Fudge Cake
If your child has an allergy to dairy or egg, it can be difficult to buy a delicious cake so here’s my recipe for a really yummy chocolate cake without dairy or egg that every child can enjoy.
- 150g plain flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 240 soft light brown sugar
- 60 ml sunflower oil
- 250 ml hot water
- 1 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 60 ml water
- 85g Dairy-Free Flora Freedom Spread
- 150g dairy free dark chocolate, chopped
1.Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a 9 x 9 in 23 x 23 cm or 7 x 11in/18 x 33 cm cake pan with parchment coming up the sides of the pan and leaving an overhang at two opposite ends of the pan.
2.Sift flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl, Mix together sugar, oil, hot water, 1 tsp vanilla extract and vinegar and stir into the dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared tin (it is quite liquid) then bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen, firm and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then life out (using the parchment) onto a wire rack to cool completely (leave the parchment on the base of the cake as it is easier to move the cake around)
3.To make the frosting, put the water, Dairy-free Flora Freedom Spread, soft light brown sugar and chopped dairy free dark chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Stir then microwave in 15 second bursts stirring between each burst, until everything is melted together.
5. Whisk to make a glossy frosting then whisk in ½ tsp vanilla extract.
6. Store frosting in the fridge for 1 hour for a better consistency.