If you’re a cupcake making newbie, then this is the perfect starter recipe. You can change the ingredients to make different flavoured cakes & add all sorts of icings & decorations.
- 110 g butter, softened
- 110 g caster sugar
- 110 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F / Gas 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
- Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Fillings and Flavour Suggestions
You can add a filling to the cupcake by cutting a cone from the middle of each cake with a serrated knife. Fill the hole with jam, lemon curd or one of these fabulous fillings:
Raspberry and Chocolate Cupcakes
Fill each cake with 1 tsp seedless raspberry jam and ice with chocolate buttercream.
Fill each with 1 tsp lemon curd. Ice with lemon buttercream.
Fill each with 1 tsp dulche de leche, ice with a single quantity of vanilla buttercream and top with sliced banana
Chocolate Cream Cupcakes
Mix 75g mascarpone with 2 tbsp double cream and quarter tsp vanilla. Put 1 tsp of this in the centre of each cupcake. Ice with chocolate buttercream.
Buttercream Icing Suggestions
For plain buttercream, beat 110g butter until soft, then beat in 110g icing sugar, a tablespoon at a time.
For vanilla buttercream, add half teaspoon vanilla extract and beat to combine.
For lemon buttercream, beat in 1 tbsp lemon juice- add 1 tsp at a time and taste after each addition.
For chocolate buttercream, beat in quarter tsp vanilla, 60g (2oz) melted and cooled milk chocolate and 2 tbsp cocoa powder.