Doughball Pizza Wreath
Make this easy and very festive pizza for your Christmas celebration. The kids can help create the wreath and there is a delicious surprise of warm melted cheese in each doughball.
- 350g strong white flour
- 7g fast action yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
Tomato & Basil Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400g chopped tomtoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 75g Cheddar cheese, diced into 12 cubes
- 100g mozzarella cut into 6 slices
- Bunch of fresh basil for decoration
- Measure the flour, yeast, oil , water and salt into a large bowl. Mix together to form a dough. Knead on a floured work surface for 5 minutes until smooth and shiny. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise for 1 to 2 hours until doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 200C Fan.
- Whilst the dough is rising make the sauce. Heat the oil in a saucepan . Add the onion and fry for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes until reduced and thickened. Leave to cool.
- Knock back the dough on a work surface, then divide into 12 pieces. Roll into balls insert a cube of cheese inside each ball.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with non stick paper. Make a circle of dough balls leaving a small gap between each ball. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven.