For the Cookies
100 g dark brown sugar
50 g golden syrup
1 large egg
250 g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
100 g each Readymade red and purple fondant icing
edible gold paint
1. Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Line two baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
2. Measure the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy using an electric hand whisk. Add the syrup and egg and whisk again. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until the mixture comes together.
3. Lightly knead into a dough and wrap in cling film. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour until firm.
4. Flour a work surface and roll out the dough. Stamp out crown shapes using a crown cutter.
5. Place on the baking sheets and bake for 15-18 minutes until lightly golden and just firm in the middle. Leave to cool.
6. Roll out the white fondant on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar and cut out crown shapes using the cutter. Using a sharp knife remove two holes from each to make the openings in the crown.
7. Mix the icing sugar with a little water to make a smooth thick icing, and use to fill a piping bag (fitted with a small round nozzle). Pipe a little icing onto the crown and attach the fondant. Then pipe small dots around the outside and leave to dry.
8. Using a paint brush, brush with the edible gold paint and leave to dry.
9. Lastly, roll out a little red and purple fondant and cut out to fill the two holes on each crown and attach with a little icing.