Believe it or not, courgettes work really well in chocolate muffins. It helps to keep the muffins soft & moreish.
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 125 g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 110 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 85 g melted butter
- 180 ml milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 175 g courgette, grated
- 125 g raisins
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- Sieve together the white flour, sugar, mixed spice, ginger, salt and baking powder. Then sift in the wholemeal flour, saving the bran bits in the sieve.
- Melt the butter, allow to cool, and then mix with the milk and egg.
- Stir in the grated courgette, raisins and then the flour mixture.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cases.
- Fill each one with the muffin mix till about two thirds full.
- Mix together the reserved bran and demerara sugar and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C and bake for 25 minutes.