Chicken in Red Wine Sauce
This recipe delivers a rich and deeply flavored braise with red wine, mushrooms and onions that tastes like it was in the oven all day, except that it wasn’t.
- 4 chicken breasts, skin on
- 250 ml red wine
- ½ bunch thyme, tied with string
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 200 ml chicken
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Season the chicken and place in a dish. Pour over the wine. Add the bunched thyme and garlic. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes or as long as possible.
- Heat a frying pan . Add the oil and butter and fry the chicken skin side down until brown. Set aside.
- Heat a little oil in the pan. Add the onion and fry until soft. Add the chestnut mushrooms and brown over the heat. Add the marinade and reduce over a high heat by half. Add the stock, redcurrant jelly and chicken. Season. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Remove the bunched thyme and add the thyme leaves. Mix the cornflour with 1 tbsp of water , then add to the chicken and stir until thickened.