Cheat’s Spring Rolls
Chinese spring rolls are so yummy, but takeaway versions are often deep-fried, making them an unhealthy treat. So, I have come up with a healthy but just as tasty, grilled version that you can make at home.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into very thin strips
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & coarsely grated
- 2 handfuls of beansprouts
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 4 small wheat tortilla wraps
- Preheat the grill to high. Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the chicken and stir-fry for 2 minutes
- Add the vegetables and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through and the vegetables have softened slight (but aren’t completely soft.) Stir in the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the plum sauce, and remove from the heat.
- Spread the remaining plum sauce over the four wraps. Divide the chicken and vegetable filling between the wraps, spooning in on the lower half of each wrap.
- Fold the left-and right-hand sides of the wrap over the filling then roll the wraps up from the bottom so that the filling is completely enclosed.
- Carefully transfer the filled wraps to a grill pan, sitting them seam side down. Place under the grill for 1-1½ minutes, until the tops are crisp and starting to brown then turn them over and grill for a further 1-1½ minutes. Watch carefully as the wrap can scorch easily,
- Remove from the grill and serve immediately.