Butternut Squash Purée
Hold the squash steady on a chopping board & using a sharp knife trim off the ends. Then cut the squash in half down the middle & using a vegetable peeler, peel off the skin. Finally scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
A large squash can be hard to cut. To make it easier, pierce it several times with a skewer or a sharp knife & microwave on high for 60 seconds.
- 1 small butternut squash
- Steamed Squash Only: Peel the squash, deseed & cut into cubes – 1 small butternut squash. Steam or simmer in water for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Baked Squash: Preheat the oven (200ºC / Gas 6)
- Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the seeds & membrane.
- Place the halves (cut side down) on a well oiled baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool.
- Scoop out the flesh & purée or mash with a little breast/formula milk or some cooled boiled water.