Bonfire Night Cupcakes
With a delicious buttercream flame, mini roasted marshmallows and chocolate ‘wooden’ sticks. These fun cupcakes will go down a treat on Bonfire Night!
- 100g dark chocolate
- 175g butter
- 3 eggs
- 200g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 20g cocoa powder
- Zest of ½ orange
- Softened butter
- 300g icing sugar
- Yellow and orange food colouring
- Orange Matchmakers sticks
- Mini marshmallows
- Cocktail sticks or small thin twigs
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan.
- Measure the chocolate and butter into a bowl. Melt over a pan of simmering water until runny . Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy. Fold in the chocolate mixture then the flour, cocoa powder and orange and mix well. Spoon into a 12 hole muffin tin lined with muffin cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes until well risen and firm. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the butter and icing sugar together until pale and fluff using an electric hand whisk. Divide the mixture into 2 bowls. Add orange food colouring to one bowl and yellow to the other. Spoon both colours into a piping bag fitted with a fluted nozzle.
- Pipe the icing on top to make a marbled effect.
- Snap the Matchmakers in half and arrange the sticks around the tops of the muffins to make a Bonfire effect.
- Add mini marshmallows threaded onto cocktail sticks or small thin twigs. Remember to remove the cocktail sticks or twigs before serving to young children.