Beginner’s Beef Casserole
Beef is a good source of easily absorbed iron, which your baby needs for healthy growth, development, and optimum energy levels.
Exclusive recipe from Annabel’s NEW Weaning cookbook. BUY NOW
- tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 115g (4oz) lean stewing steak, trimmed of fat
- and cut into small cubes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 3 dried apricots, chopped
- 150ml (5fl oz) passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 200–250ml (7–8fl oz) unsalted chicken or vegetable stock or water
- Heat the oil in a small fl ameproof casserole
or heavy-based saucepan and sauté the onion
gently for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add
the stewing steak and sauté, stirring, until
browned all over.
- Add the carrot, potato, and dried apricots,
and pour over the passata and stock or water.
Bring to the boil, stir well, reduce the heat as
low as possible, cover, and simmer gently for
about 1 hour, until the meat is tender, adding
a little more stock or water if necessary and
- Cool slightly, then purée in a food processor, or
place in a bowl and use a hand-blender. For older
babies chop by hand to the desired consistency.
- Freeze in individual portions. When needed,
thaw overnight in the fridge or for 1–2 hours
at room temperature, then reheat until piping
hot. Stir and allow to cool before serving.