Iron stores tend to be low after giving birth so it’s a good idea to include recipes with red meat like this delicious lasagne.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red pepper, cored, de-seeded & chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450 g lean minced beef
- 1/2 tsp mixed freeze dried herbs
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes, drained
- 295 g can of Campbell’s condensed cream of tomato soup
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g butter
- 40 g flour
- 460 ml milk
- 1 generous pinch of ground nutmeg
- 50 g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 25 g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 9 sheets fresh or no pre-cook lasagne
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C/275F/Gas 5.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper until softened.
- Add the beef and the herbs and sauté until the beef has changed colour.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over a medium heat for 15 to 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the cheese sauce, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, bring to the boil and whisk until thickened and smooth. Season with nutmeg and a little salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated Gruyere cheese until melted.
- To assemble the lasagne, spoon a little of the meat sauce on to the base of an ovenproof dish 28 X 17 X 7 cm (11 X 6 ½ X 2 /4 in). Cover with three sheets of lasagne.
- Divide the remaining meat sauce in half and cover the lasagne with half of the sauce. Spoon over a little of the cheese sauce.
- Cover with three more sheets of lasagne and cover with the remaining meat sauce. Again spoon over a little of the cheese sauce but make sure that enough remains to completely cover the top of the lasagne. Arrange the remaining sheets of lasagne on top and then spread over the remaining cheese sauce so that the lasagne is completely covered.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese and cook in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.