For a healthy family dessert, give Baked Apples a go. Use Spartan apples if you’re in the UK & Macintosh for the US.
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- 4 eating apples, e.g. spartan or golden delicious
- 4 tbsp raisins or mixed dried fruit
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon or ginger
- 15 g butter
- 55 g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- pinch of salt
- 15 g butter
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Remove the cores from the apples.
- Mix together the raisins, brown sugar, cinnamon or ginger and use this to stuff each of the apples.
- Put the apples in a baking dish (approx 20cm (8 in)) square. Top each apple with about 5g (1 tsp) butter and pour enough water into the dish to come about half cm up the apples.
- Bake at 180c (160 fan) for 35-40 minutes (depending on the size of the apples), basting halfway with juices in dish; if the dish dries out, add a little more water.
- To make the sauce, put sugar, syrup, salt and butter in a saucepan, and heat gently until sugar and butter have melted. Increase the heat, bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in cream and vanilla. Cool slightly before serving.
- Serve the apples with some of the sauce poured over them.