Apple & Carrot Muffins with Maple Syrup
Grated carrot is a great addition to this muffin recipe, a firm family favourite in many households.
- 150 g plain wholemeal flour
- 75 g self raising flour
- 50 g brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored & grated
- 75 g carrots, peeled & grated
- 65 g raisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla essence. Beat lightly with a wire whisk until blended. Add the grated apple, carrots and raisins to the liquid mixture and stir well.
- Fold in the dry ingredients until just combined but don’t over mix or the muffins will become heavy.
- Line a muffin tray with 12 paper cups and fill until two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You can also make mini muffins which are ideal for children they will take 15 to 20 minutes to bake.
- Leave the muffins to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.