Annabel’s Mexican enchiladas are a must-add to this week’s menu. Grab your sombreros and make an adventure out of your family mealtime; kids will love to fill and roll their own tortilla wraps and they’ll never know that Annabel has sneaked in plenty of tasty veggies!
- 10g basil
- 1 brown onion
- 80g cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 250g beef mince
- 1 red pepper
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 small tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C (fan)/ 425°F/ Gas 7
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Deseed the red pepper (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and dice finely
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a drizzle of vegetable oil over a medium-high heat
- Once hot, add the beef mince with a pinch of salt and cook for 4 min until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go
- Once browned, transfer the beef to kitchen paper and return the pan to a medium heat
- Add the chopped onion and pepper with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 min or until beginning to soften. Tip: add a little more oil if your pan is looking dry!
- Meanwhile, chop the basil finely, including the stalks. Peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic
- Once softened, return the browned beef to the pan with the chopped garlic and cook for 1 min or until fragrant. Add the chopped basil, dried oregano, tomato paste and half the chopped tomatoes (save the rest for later!)
- Add 200ml water and a generous pinch of salt, sugar and pepper to the pan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 min or until thickened to a chilli-like consistency. Meanwhile, grate the cheddar cheese
- Once done, divide the filling between the tortillas and top them with half the cheese (save some for the topping!) Roll each tortilla up and arrange them into an oven-proof dish
- Spoon over the remaining chopped tomatoes, season with a pinch of salt and top with the remaining cheese. Put the dish in the oven for 15 min or until the cheese is golden and melted
- Serve the tasty beef enchiladas and Enjoy!