Annabel’s One Pot Chicken & Tomato Orzo
You’ll be surprised just what younger family members will be willing to try when everyone sits down and eats
together. And this is the ultimate failsafe family pleaser. Orzo is a great alternative to pasta and this quick dish is
pure comfort in a bowl and full of goodness.
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 10g basil
- 40g Cheddar cheese
- 125g cherry tomatoes
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp demerara sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- ground smoked paprika
- 100g orzo
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 5g thyme
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Cut the chicken breast into thin strips
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a matching lid with a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the chicken strips with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 min or until golden and cooked through. Once done, transfer the chicken to a plate, but keep the pan!
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the red onion. Deseed the red pepper (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and dice finely
- Return the pan to a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped onion and pepper with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 min or until softened
- Meanwhile, boil a kettle
- Peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic. Dissolve the chicken stock cube in 200ml boiled water
- Once softened, add the chopped garlic to the pan with the smoked paprika and cook for 1 min or until fragrant
- Add the orzo, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and cook for 30 seconds
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 15-20 min or until most of the liquid has absorbed and the orzo is cooked
- Meanwhile, strip the thyme leaves from their stems and chop roughly. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half. Chop the basil finely, including the stalks.
- Add the chopped thyme, cherry tomatoes and basil. Stir until the tomatoes have softened slightly.
- Add the chicken to the pasta and serve.