Annabel’s Hidden Veg Bolognese
Don’t miss this hidden veg bolognese, a family dinner favourite from Annabel’s kitchen. Refuel after a busy day with her super-tasty Bolognese recipe which is packed full of those all-important veggies. A great way towards their 5-a-day (and the kids will be none the wiser)!
- 1 Apple
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 100g Carrots
- 1 Celery stick
- 40g Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 Leek
- 200g Linguine
- 250g Minced beef
- 1 Red pepper
- 400g Tin of chopped tomatoes
- 26ml Tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Slice the leeks finely. Roughly chop the celery. Deseed the red peppers (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and roughly chop. Peel and grate the apples and carrots. Peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic
- Boil a kettle. Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a drizzle of olive oil over a medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped leek, celery, red pepper, apple, carrot and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 min or until everything has softened
- Meanwhile, dissolve the beef stock cubes in 250ml boiled water. Add the tomato paste, tomato ketchup and dried oregano and whisk to combine – this is your tomato stock.
- Once the vegetables have softened, transfer them to a food processor (keep the pan for later on!) with the chopped tomatoes. Blitz until smooth
- Wipe the pan clean with a piece of kitchen paper and return it to a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the beef mince and cook for 5 min or until it’s browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
- Add the vegetable tomato sauce to the browned mince and stir in the tomato stock. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15-20 min or until the sauce has thickened to a Bolognese-like consistency
- Meanwhile, add the linguine to a pot of boiled water with a large pinch of salt and bring to the boil over a high heat. Cook the linguine for 8-10 min or until cooked with a slight bite. Once done, drain the cooked linguine and return it to the pot
- Taste the Bolognese sauce for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed. Serve the Hidden Veg Bolognese over the cooked linguine. Grate the cheddar cheese over. Enjoy!