This is a recipe you’ll want to keep to hand! Not only is this delicious salmon dish high in that all-important omega-3, it’s got bags of flavour making it marvellously moreish. The whole family are sure to love this tasty combo.
- 150g basmati rice
- 5g black sesame seeds
- 1 carrot
- 25g chilli jam
- 80g garden peas
- 25g honey
- 2 salmon fillets
- 1 shallot
- 30 ml soy sauce
- 25ml tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C (fan)/ 425°F/ Gas 7
- Peel and finely dice the carrot. Add the basmati rice, diced carrot and 350ml old water to a pot with a lid and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to very low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the salmon fillets into large, bite-size cubes. Combine the honey, tomato ketchup, white wine vinegar, chilli jam and half the soy sauce in a large bowl – this is your marinade.
- Add the salmon cubes to the marinade and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely dice the shallot. Once the rice has been cooking for 10 min, add the garden peas and cook, covered, for a further 5 min or until everything’s tender
- Meanwhile, heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a large knob of butter over a medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and cook for 5 min or until softened
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with tin foil and add the salmon and marinade (scrunch up the edges of tin foil to stop the marinade escaping!) Put the tray in the oven for 5-7 min or until the salmon is cooked through. Tip: Your fish is cooked when it turns opaque and flakes easily
- Meanwhile, fluff the cooked rice with a fork and add it to the pan with the softened onion. Add the remaining soy sauce and a generous grind of black pepper. Give everything a good old mix up and cook for 2-3 min or until the rice is beginning to crisp slightly – this is your Chinese rice
- Serve the glazed salmon over the Chinese rice. Drizzle over any remaining marinade. Garnish with the black sesame seeds and enjoy!