This is my favourite pie recipe which makes for the ultimate comfort food. Tuck into this succulent chicken in a deliciously creamy white sauce, topped with a cheesy potato mash. It’s one of those family pleasers which you can pop in the centre of the table so that everyone can help themselves. Kids will love to serve up their own mini portions!
- 1 carrot
- 40g cheddar cheese
- 1 large chicken breast (250g-300g)
- 40g clotted cream
- 80g garden peas
- 40g Italian hard cheese
- 1 leek
- 400g potatoes
- 1 shallot
- 5g thyme
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C (fan)/ 425°F/ Gas 7. Boil a kettle
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into large bite-size pieces. Add the potatoes to a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt, bring to the boil over a high heat and cook for 10-15 min or until fork-tender. Once done, drain and return them to the pot to steam dry
- Meanwhile, wash the leek carefully to remove any grit from between the leaves, then top, tail and slice finely. Peel and finely slice the shallot. Top, tail, peel and dice the carrot.
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a large knob of butter over a medium heat. Once melted, add the chopped vegetables with a pinch of salt and cook for 8-10 min or until softened. Meanwhile, re-boil a kettle. Strip the thyme leaves from their stalks, and chop them finely. Grate the cheddar and Italian hard cheese
- Dissolve the chicken stock cube in 350ml boiled water. Cut the chicken breast into bite-size pieces
- Once the vegetables have softened, add 1 tbsp flour and cook for 1 min. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil over a high heat and whisk until a smooth sauce remains. Add the chopped chicken, garden peas, chopped thyme, clotted cream and white wine vinegar. Cook for 6-8 min or until the peas are tender and the sauce has thickened
- Meanwhile, return the drained potatoes to a low heat with a large knob of butter and a splash of milk. Season with a generous pinch of both salt and pepper and mash until smooth. Add the grated cheeses and mix to combine – this is your cheesy mash
- Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish (or individual ones if you have them) and top with the cheesy mash. Put the dish in the oven for 15 min or until golden and bubbling
- Serve the cheeky chicken & potato pie. Enjoy!