Welsh ‘Rabbit’ Rarebit
This gooey cheese on toast is the perfect comforting snack for kids. As a top tip, make it look like a rabbit to help combat fussy eating.
Please log in to view this recipe
Don't have an account?
Join for these great benefits
- Exclusive Recipes and Content
- Insider News
- Vouchers and Offers
For the Rarebit:
- 1 English muffin, split & toasted
- 45 g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp cream or milk
- 2-3 drops Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
- pepper, to season
For the Garnish:
- thin slices of carrot or 2 baby carrots
- 1 black olive, stoned & halved
- 4 peas
- 4 mangetout
- small amount of spring onion, chopped
- few fresh chives
- Preheat the grill on high.
- Put the cheese, egg yolk, milk/cream, and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl and mash together. Season with pepper, to taste.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the cut sides of the toasted muffin, spreading to the edges.
- Grill the muffin 7 to 8 centimeters from the heat source for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Don’t let the muffin halves get too close to the heat or they may brown too quickly.
- Decorate the muffin with peas for eyes, mangetout for ears, half an olive for a nose, chives for whiskers, chopped spring onion for teeth, and a carrot for fun.
- Serve immediatley.