Sometimes it’s hard to get children eating lentils, so mix them with a medley of root veggies to make a delicious soup.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & crushed
- 2 medium carrots (approx 110g), cut into small chunks
- 100 g butternut squash, peeled & diced
- 100 g sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 200 g celery (2 sticks), sliced
- 500 ml water
- 100 g red lentils
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1/2 tsp teaspoon salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the vegetable oil in a fairly large pan, add the onion, garlic and chopped vegetables.
- Pour over the water and then cover and cook gently, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Rinse the lentils, drain and add to the vegetables with the stock, bay leaf, sprig of thyme and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and thyme and blitz in a food processor. Adjust the seasoning to taste.