A delicious way to say “I love you”. If you don’t have heart shaped cookie cutters, you could use round ones instead.
To make the Biscuits
- 55 g butter, softened
- 30 g caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 85 g plain flour, plus extra for rolling
To sandwich the Hearts
- 40 g white chocolate chopped
- icing sugar, for dusting
- approx. 1 to 2 tbsp raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt until combined. Add the flour and stir in with a wooden spoon, then bring the dough together with your hands. If the dough is very soft then wrap in clingfilm and chill for around 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to around 2mm (1/16 in) thick. Cut out 16 heart shapes using a 6cm cookie cutter, re-rolling the scraps as necessary. Put 8 dough hearts on one baking sheet. Cut heart centres from the remaining 8 dough hearts, using a small heart shaped cutter. Transfer these dough hearts to a second baking sheet. Chill both baking sheets for 10 minutes in the freezer or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/Fan 160/350 F/ Gas 4. Bake the shortbread until slightly golden around the edges – this will take 10 to 12 minutes for the ones with the hearts cut out and 13 to 15 minutes for the solid ones. Cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.