Sausage Roll Christmas Crackers
A truly festive sausage roll; a delicious mix of apple, squash, sage, and pork, all wrapped up in golden, crispy filo pastry cracker.
- 100g sausage meat
- ½ apple, peeled and finely diced
- 25g squash, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp sage, chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 320g packet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Ribbon or string to decorate
- Mix the sausage meat, apple, squash, sage and spring onions together in a bowl and season.
- Unroll the pastry and trim to measure a 20cm x 35cm rectangle. Re-roll the trimmings and cut out stars using a small star cutter. Brush the pastry with beaten egg. Slice the rectangle into four strips widthways.
- Divide the sausage meat into four and spread in a line about 6cm long onto the middle of one side of the strips of pastry. Fold the pastry over and then gently roll into a cylinder to encase the filling. Pinch the pastry around the filling to make a cracker shape.
- Brush with more beaten egg and decorate with stars of pastry. Repeat three more times.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with non-stick paper. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C Fan.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and crisp and the filling is cooked through.
- Decorate the ends of your crackers with ribbon once they have cooled down a little.