Roast Chicken & Herb Stuffing
Slow-roasting is a great way to keep the chicken nice and moist
- Free e-recipe book on sign up
- Access to exclusive recipes & content
- Exclusive offers on AK products
- Great competitions and prizes
- Never miss a thing with our newsletter
- olive oil
- 1 medium chicken
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 onion
- a few sprigs of thyme
- a few sprigs of sage
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 3 medium onions, peeled & chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 100 ml (3 1/2 fl oz) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- a pinch of sugar
Preheat the oven to 220⁰C/430⁰F/Gas 7.
Rub olive oil over the chicken, then squeeze over some lemon juice and put the remaining lemon inside the cavity with the onion and herbs.
Season to taste
Put the chicken in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes per 500 g (1lb), plus 20 minutes extra.
To make the stuffing, heat the sunflower oil and saute the onions for 5-6 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and season. Spoon into a greased dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Put the cooked chicken on a plate and keep warm. Add flour to the juices in the tin, heat on the hob and stir, then blend in the stock, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Heat through and sieve into a jug